The Mactan-Cebu International Airport (MCIA) located in Central Visayas region, is the second busiest airport of the Philippines. The airport is managed by the Mactan-Cebu International Airport Authority that caters to a rapidly growing passenger traffic comprising of tourists and business travelers.
In December 2012, the Republic of Philippines initiated an international competitive bidding process for selecting contractors to carry out the construction of a new terminal at the airport and renovation of the existing terminal. As part of its focus for the management and development of MCIA, the new terminal will be constructed through Public Private Partnership process.
In December 2013 GMR Infrastructure in partnership with Megawide Construction Corporation of Philippines emerged as the highest bidder after offering a bid premium of 14.4 billion Philippine Pesos (approximately US$ 320 million).
Since then, the Consortium comprising of GMR and Megawide Constructions have signed an concession agreement to begin the process for takeover of operations and development of MCIA by means of renovation of the existing Terminal 1 and simultaneous construction of a brand new Terminal 2, with the Department of Transportation and Communication (DOTC). Under the agreement, the GMR Megawide Consortium will operate the airport for a period of 25 years.
Some of the key features of the modernization plan are:
- 20 aircraft parking stands with aerobridges and 13 aircraft parking stand served by bus transfers. This will minimize delays in disembarkation
- Dedicated domestic and international terminals connected by link bridge for the convenience of passengers making connecting flights
- Airport terminals that reflect the rich Cebuano heritage and culture in a modern design
- A total of 149 check-in counters for international and domestic flights for passenger convenience
- Exciting and Unique retail facilities including shopping and food & beverage
- Conveniently located airline lounges for the traveler’s pleasure
- Enhanced in-line automated baggage handling system
- Adequate parking facilities for passengers and visitors
- Airport village mall complex adjoining the terminal with retail and entertainment options
MCIA will be an airport that offers capacity well beyond current demand thereby creating opportunities for more flights and passengers to the Visayas and beyond. which is a first in the Philippines, The main focus of the MCIA Management Team will be significant growth of tourism and business related travel to the region through MCIA.