Preparations At IGI Airport For Upcoming Fog Season
New Delhi, November 13, 2009 :
To minimize inconvenience to passengers and ensure continuity of operations during poor visibility conditions at IGI Airport, Delhi International Airport (P) Limited (DIAL) has initiated several proactive measures.
These measures are being implemented on the city side, inside the passenger terminals as well as on the airside. Some of the key measures undertaken this year include:
- At the domestic airport, the traffic circulation plan has been modified as a result of which vehicular traffic for departure and arrival terminals is separated. This allows traffic to flow smoothly and prevents congestion. The approach road to the international terminal is also being widened and resurfaced.
- A new car park has been commissioned at the domestic terminal which augments the airport’s capacity to cater to additional vehicles. In addition, the car park at Terminal 2 has also been expanded.
- DIAL has deployed additional Customer Service staff inside and outside the terminals to assist the passengers throughout the winter season.
- Additional Flight Information Displays have been installed inside and outside the terminals to keep the passengers updated on flight status.
- Commissioning of the new domestic departure terminal 1D with spacious check-in concourse, in-line baggage handling system, capacious security hold area and various passenger amenities.
- T1D passenger capacity is far greater than the old domestic departure Terminal 1B. Further, the terminal has multiple food & beverage outlets, rest and recreation options which would minimize inconvenience to passengers during flight disruptions owing to poor visibility.
- Terminal 1C - Domestic Arrivals was also extended to provide additional capacity together with external large canopy area encompassing F&B, Pharmacy, ATMs & Souvenir shops.
- Out of the 3 runways, two runways have been provided with Category IIIB Instrument Landing System allows compatible aircraft and trained pilots to land even when the Runway Visual Range (RVR) is up to 50 meters. IGIA is the only airport in India to feature CAT IIIB ILS.
- The upgrade works of Runway 27/09 have also been completed and during the winter season, IGIA will have all the 3 runways equipped with Instrument Landing System available for operation.
- 55 parking bays, including 36 at the domestic aircraft apron have been provided with CATIII compatible lighting systems. Modifications carried out during the recent past have provided additional number taxi routings to ease aircraft movement and prioritize the movement of CATIII enabled aircraft.
- The IGI Airport Call Centre is available to provide prompt information to passengers. The Call Centre Number is 0124-3376000
- An advanced Interactive Voice Response (IVR) System is also available which would provide Live Flight Information. The numbers are
- Domestic – 011 – 25662275
- International – 011 - 25602999
- Live flight status is also being made available on the airport’s website www.newdelhiairport.in
- Special booklets with information on fog and Do’s and Don’ts for passengers and airline contact numbers are also being circulated.
- Booklets with special instructions for operating vehicles on the airside during low visibility conditions are also being distributed among drivers on the airside.
DIAL is also holding coordination meetings with all the stakeholders and is taking all possible measures to reduce inconvenience to passengers during delays caused by low visibility conditions.
About DIAL : Delhi International Airport (P) Ltd (DIAL) is a joint venture company; comprising the Bangalore headquartered global Infrastructure major GMR Group with a significant pan-India and International presence, Airports Authority of India, Fraport and Malaysian Airport. DIAL is working towards the modernization and restructuring of the Delhi Airport. The project being developed by DIAL under Public Private Partnership has been given the mandate to finance, design, build, operate and maintain the Delhi Airport for 30 years with an option to extend it by another 30 years.