Children from marginalized communities rarely get opportunities to participate in co-curricular and extracurricular activities. They also lack opportunities to augment their learning at school as most of their parents are either poorly educated or completely illiterate. To help such children in improving their talents and abilities, GMRVF has started After-School Learning Centers (ASLC) and Tuition Centers at many locations. The aim of these Centers is two-fold:
- to strengthen curricular learning
- to provide opportunities for extracurricular activities
The after-school activities take place on a regular basis and the volunteers appointed by Foundation shall take care of them. These volunteers carry different activities that promote holistic development of the child. They include conducting cultural events, debates, quizzes, elocution competitions, bridge courses etc. Foundation also organizes picnics and education trips for children of after-school learning centers.
The after-school learning activities have improved the learning standards of the children and also provided a great opportunity to identify and nurture their innate talents.
A Dream Come True!
- Foundation is currently serving about 8000 students through ASLCs and Tuition Centers.
- Cultural teams have been formed in many schools
- Extra-curricular activities relating to conservation of environment, health, hygiene and sanitation etc. are organized to sensitize children and elders alike on health and environmental issues.
- The activities of ASLCs and Tuition Centers have a positive effect in reducing school drop-outs and child labor as also on other stakeholders in the community like parents, school teachers, employers of child labor and the general public.
Meet Aakash who lives in Savda, Delhi. He was once a very shy and reticent child and used to feel nervous to ask his teachers about his doubts, to face exams and even to speak in front of a group. But that was history now! GMRVF motivated this young Aakash to join the ASLC Programme. Aakash started attending its curricular and co-curricular activities. His achievements in those activities improved Aakash's self-confidence and he never looked back. His confidence spilled over to his regular academics too. "Pahle mein khul ke bol nahin pata tha, ab mein kisi bhi jagah aatm-vishwaash ke saath baat kar leta hoon aur school mein sawal poochhane mein darata nahin hoon. Mujhe ab exam se bhi darr nahin lagata hain" (Earlier I was unable to speak freely but now I can speak fluently in any forum. I can now confidently ask questions in school and face examinations as confidently), says Aakash reflecting the same confidence in his words.
The ASLC Program has improved his confidence and has also given him a very strong foundation in studies. The regular classes and the Special Exam Preparation Classes helped Aakash to learn the topics well. The result was he secured a whopping 94% in Board Exam of X Std. He wants to become an engineer.
The After-School Learning Programs at Savda Resettlement Colony helps many children like Aakash to realize their dreams.