Poverty forces many youth to discontinue their education; with their limited qualifications they are deprived of good employment opportunities which perpetuates the vicious cycle for generations. A small timely support can break this circle and help the youth realize their dream. To that end, GMRVF provides scholarships and loans to meritorious students who lack finances for pursuing higher education.
Unlocking the opportunities!
- So far, Foundation has provided educational scholarships to more than 3000 students to pursue various courses like Intermediate, Degree, Engineering, PG, Polytechnic, Nursing, B. Ed etc.
- Another 250 students have got educational loans for professional education. GMRVF has signed MOUs with some banks to this effect. Foundation usually gives 1/4th of the expenditure as interest free loan and the student gets the remaining from bank as loan.
- Students are also given individual grants selected on the basis of their economic status and educational qualifications followed by their performance at an interview. While the primary consideration for giving scholarship is the academic history and the family’s background, an examination is also held for the students applying for professional courses.
- Foundation monitors the academic progress of each student by maintaining regular contact with the educational institution where the student is enrolled and provides counseling as and when necessary.
- The students receiving loans and scholarships are performing satisfactorily in their fields of study. Some of the past recipients have become successful professionals.
Ravi Kishore hails from a poor family in a village near Rajam of Andhra Pradesh. His father works as a daily wage laborer and his income is hardly sufficient to meet the household needs. Ravi passed his intermediate examination with more than 90% of marks and dreamed of becoming an engineer. However, poverty forced him to settle for a normal degree course at SGCSR Degree College, Rajam. Recognizing his interest in Engineering Education, GMRVF staff and the lecturers of the college encouraged him to join B. Tech (Civil) in GMR Institute of Technology. Through its MOU with Andhra Bank, Foundation facilitated Rs 1.20 lakh loan from the Bank, and provided Rs 38, 000 as interest free loan. Ravi completed his B. Tech in 2010 and joined an aluminum factory at Vizag as a trainee engineer. Ravi is now happy in being able to share the burden of his father and thanks GMRVF for supporting him in realizing his dream.