GMRVF in collaboration with IBM has initiated 27 GMR-IBM Kidsmart Centers or Early Learning Centre (ELC) across its project locations with the objective of creating an exciting learning environment for early learners, aided by technology. These ELCs have been initiated at different locations targeting children mainly from Govt. Schools where access to technology-aided quality education is rarely available. Each Centre has three corners -Technology Corner, Craft Corner and Reading Corner, with specific activities designed for each Corner. These Corners give the child a chance to explore and learn things with fun.
- Kidsmart Centers have attractive, child-friendly computers and, in special cases, are equipped with speakers and specially designed software.
- Training was facilitated by IBM for all the teachers and volunteers of participating schools and for GMRVF staff. The training focuses on concepts and philosophy of Kidsmart Center along with principles and methodology of early learning process in children.
- Classes at Kidsmart Centers are scheduled in such a way that each child gets opportunity to engage in the activities of all the three Corners (Technology, Craft and Reading) at least once every week.
- Transportation facility is provided by GMRVF for the children who attend the Kidsmart classes from their respective schools.
- Over 5200 children are getting benefit from the 27 Kidsmart Centers at different locations.
Anjum of Std. IV of MCD School at Savda Ghevra Resettlement Colony of Delhi started enjoying school after being introduced to Kidsmart classes. She imbibed new skills and actively participated in activities of all three Corners. She did well in drawing, arts and craft, speech and writing competitions. She showed lot of interest in using computer and software. She had little exposure to any computer related activity before intervention. She now helps other children on how to operate computer and helps in craft activity in free time.