GMR Group's entry into the Urban Infrastructure space has been initiated by Large Area Development projects which will comprise Special Economic Zones (Industrial Investment Zoness) as well as Domestic Tariff Areas. One of these is located in Krishnagiri District of Tamil Nadu, very close to Bangalore and the other at Kakinada in coastal Andhra Pradesh.
KRISHNAGIRI Industrial Investment Zones
GMR Krishnagiri Industrial Investment Zones Limited is developing an area of approximately 3000 acres jointly with Tamil Nadu Industrial Development Corporation (TIDCO) in the Krishnagiri District of Tamil Nadu. This Industrial Investment Zones project was won by the company based on a two stage international competitive bid.
In the first phase development of about 250 acres, a Manufacturing & Engineering Industrial Investment Zones has been planned.
Krishnagiri Industrial Investment Zones is located off the Bangalore-Chennai Corridor
- Hence, the benefits of the knowledge hub, Bangalore and the enterprise hub, Chennai are readily available for the zone
- The Bangalore – Chennai region has an established industrial corridor and is also known to produce around 300,000 engineers every year, hence resulting in a ready availability of quality professionals
- A railway network passes through the border of the zone
- The zone is also around an hour’s drive from the fastest growing Indian City – Bangalore
- The zone is less than 2 hours from the Bangalore International Airport and less than 5 hours from the Chennai International Airport
- The zone is at a distance of less than 5 hours from Chennai Port as well as Ennore Port
A Project with many Advantages
The Krishnagiri Industrial Investment Zones is advantageously located in close proximity to Bangalore. The anchor tenants for the first phase are expected to be tied up in FY12 and the first phase would be operational by FY 13. Necessary infrastructure in the zone - water supply, power supply, well developed roads, IT infrastructure, sewage treatment & recycling plants are being provided in the Industrial Investment Zones. World class social infrastructure such as good quality residential facilities and attended requirements are also envisaged as part of the zone.
Other Key Features
- This multi product Industrial Investment Zones will focus on a variety of industries ranging from Bio Technology, Renewable Energy and other emerging industries besides the traditional electronics, manufacturing and engineering areas
- Additional benefits of this Industrial Investment Zones include excellent connectivity through state highway NH 7 and a good railway network
- Over three lakh people would be benefiting from this Industrial Investment Zones, both through direct and indirect employment
- An added advantage of this project would be the related development through its multiplier effect, on the physical and social infrastructure in the region
KAKINADA Industrial Investment Zones AND LARGE AREA DEVELOPMENT
GMR group acquired a majority stake in Kakinada Industrial Investment Zones Pvt Limited in January 2011 and has initiated a number of activities.
The key project highlights are:
- This Industrial Investment Zones has been conceived as a Captive Port based Multi Product Special Economic Zone
- Situated strategically on the Eastern Coast in an area rich with oil and natural gas deposits, the Industrial Investment Zones has excellent logistical linkages to National Highways, Railway networks, Air and Sea Ports
- KSEZ has been identified as the anchor project of Vishakhapatnam – Kakinada Petroleum, Chemical, Petrochemical Investment Region (PCPIR), an Investment Region promoted by Government of India to tap the vast potential of oil and natural gas reserves in the Krishna–Godavari Basin
- Planned in more than 10,000 acres of land, a majority of which has been purchased and is in possession
- Industrial Investment Zones “Formal Approval” has been obtained
- The Company has engaged a reputed international consultant and prepared a master plan for the entire development area
- DPR for the captive port is under advanced stage of completion and it is expected that the port and the first phase of the power plant will be operational by FY 15