Corporate Governance at GMR is driven by a simple principle - 'Achieve right results by right means'. The Group even transcends legal guidelines and attempts to venture into the hearts and minds of all its stakeholders in its steadfast approach.
Corporate Governance is a journey rather than a destination. GMR continually works at improving its practices and processes as it spreads its presence through continents to touch more and more lives. 'Balancing the interests of all its stakeholders,' is the prevailing motto during this journey.
The seven core values, which is now deep rooted in the organisation, vibrate and resonate with the spirit of principles of corporate governance.
- Entrepreneurial culture of the organisaton builds value adding business and enhances shareholders’ value.
- Teamwork and Relationships bring in the synergy of human intelligence, contributing to organisation’s well being, openness and transparency.
- Deliver the Promise puts in place the system of responsibility and accountability at every level.
- Learning makes the organization more agile and competitive, and also enhances the employees’ knowledge, competencies and net worth. This builds the employees’ career with increased rewards and enables him/her to deliver more value.
- Social Responsibility ensures the organisation meets all legal and tax compliances and safeguards the interests of the society and environment. More importantly, it leads us to recognise the wants of the needy and mobilise the organisation’s resources for their redressal and upliftment.
- Respect for Individual treats every shareholder, employee, vendor, customer, citizen and each stakeholder with sensitivity and respect.
- Humility, above all, constantly keeps achievement-triggered-arrogance under check and empowers every employee to discharge his fiduciary duty with complete responsibility.
For its efforts in institutionalising rigorous processes in line with its values and beliefs, the Institute of Company Secretaries of India (ICSI) has selected GMR Group as one of the top 25 companies adopting good corporate governance practices and nominated GMR for its ICSI National Award for Excellence in Corporate Governance.
The award instituted in the year 2001, seeks to identify, foster and reward the culture of evolving globally acceptable standards of corporate governance among Indian companies. It is conferred annually on companies following the best corporate governance practices.
"As a responsible corporate citizen, GMR Group, besides being actively
engaged in infrastructure development, is fully committed to the larger goal of
enhancing the standard of living of the people, particularly that of the
The Group believes that only through this will the larger objective of fully
developing and tapping the nation's true potential be achieved. Accordingly, the
corporate policies of the Group are driven by a set of seven carefully drafted
core values. 'Respect For Individual' is one such core value of the Group. In
line with this, the Group as a whole ensures that it adheres to all statutory
regulations pertaining to Occupational Health, Safety and Environment along with
gender and age specific issues of employment. Specifically in the context of
Child Labour, the Group abides by the ILO guidelines and the Indian legislation
which also ratifies this by not employing children and minors either directly in
its establishments or through its contractors and vendors."
Similarly, the Group is also committed to environment protection. Its many
efforts towards this cause, has won it several awards and accolades. It has won
the prestigious Dr. M.S. Swaminathan award for environment conservation methods
and processes at its power plant in Chennai. The first and only of its kind
sewage treatment unit in the plant treats 7200 cubic metres of raw sewage per
day from Chennai Metropolitan & Sewerage Board to produce 5400 cubic metres of
clean water for its own use.
At GMR Group, we believe that for an organization to grow and excel, it needs
to be anchored to its Values and Beliefs and motivate all its employees to
consistently display these values in the course of their daily interactions. We
expect our employees to maintain high moral and ethical standards, characterized
by honesty, fairness and equity in interpersonal as well as professional
To support this value creation we have devised a number of policies and
processes. Whistle Blower Policy is one such platform created to support the
value system. This policy will enable employees as well as third parties
including vendors, service providers, partners, customers to anonymously report
their concern regarding any serious malpractice to protect the reputation,
assets and profitability of the organization.
The policy among other things outlines the applicability, scope, procedure to
handle disclosures, investigation and assurance to whistle blowers. A whistle
blower who desires to make a disclosure can send an e-mail to email@example.com
or alternatively contact 1800-1020-467 to raise the concern.
For more details, please refer to the detailed policy: The Whistle Blower policy