This is a programme of the Centre for Environment Education (CEE). The purpose is to initiate and strengthen environmental education in schools using the 'cluster approach'. Recognising the significance of the programme, GMRVF decided to implement EESAP in about 25 schools spread across three blocks at Rajam.
- Strengthen environmental education in schools through socially and
scientifically relevant programmes
- Involve students in collecting information about natural resources
- Engage schools in community awareness initiatives on preserving natural
- EESAP activities are implemented in targeted schools identified by volunteers/facilitators appointed by the Foundation..
- The volunteers are trained by the Foundation to conduct activities effectively.
- The activities are being conducted in 22 schools at Rajam
- The activities include exposure to solar cookers, compost pit, treadle pump
and drip irrigation and is receiving a good response from the students and
The programme has generated good awareness and curiosity among the
stakeholders - particularly children. Specific instances are as follows
- Mandarada High School students planted 50 trees in the school compound. .
- The community at Boddum implemented drip irrigation in the fields and is
also using compost pit
- A.V. Puram School has prepared a compost pit through community participation
- EESAP activities have also influenced several other community members. In
many locations, members have demonstrated good support and participation in
various events primarily targeting the children and youth.