With the objective of creating an exciting learning environment for early learners through active learning and technology GMRVF with IBM, has initiated six GMR-IBM Kidsmart Centers or Early Learning Centre (ELC) at four project locations. These ELCs have been initiated at different locations targeting children from Govt. Schools with no access to technology-aided quality education. Each Centre has three corners -Technology Corner, Craft Corner and Reading Corner, with specific activities designed for each corner. These corners give the child a chance to explore and learn things in a more fun way.
- Kidsmart units consist of attractive, child friendly computers in special cases equipped with speakers and specially designed software.
- Training was facilitated by IBM for all the teachers, volunteers of participating schools and also for GMRVF staff. The training focused on concepts of Kidsmart center, philosophy, principles and methodology of early learning process in children.
- The classes at Kidsmart centers are scheduled in such a way that each child gets opportunity to engage in the activities of all the three corners (technology, craft and reading) at least once in every week.
- Transportation facility is provided by GMRVF for the children who attend the Kidsmart classes at the host school from their respective schools.
- Currently, more than 2700 children are benefiting from the six Kidsmart Centers at different locations.
Anjum of Std. IV of MCD School at Savda Ghevra Resettlement Colony of Delhi, started enjoying school after being introduced to Kid smart classes she imbibed new skills. She actively participated in activities of all three corners. She did well in drawing, arts and craft, speech and writing competitions. She also showed interest in handling of computer and software. She had no exposure to any computer related activities before intervention. She now helps other children on how to operate computers and helps in craft activity in free time.