Majority of the children from poor households in the country are enrolled in Government schools. As a vast majority of these children are first generation school-goers, the overall functioning of the government schools particularly the quality of teaching and learning becomes very critical. The Foundation believes that there is a great need to complement the efforts of the government to provide quality education in these schools. Hence, GMRVF, as part of its education initiatives, works with government schools to improve the quality of education and to strengthen the infrastructure. Currently, Foundation works with about 200 schools reaching out to more than 28,000 students across its various locations.
- As per need Foundation contributes towards infrastructural development in the Govt. Schools including construction of classrooms, toilets, playgrounds, provision of class room furniture etc.
- Foundation selects, trains and supports Vidya Volunteers from the locality to work with the students in schools where teacher-student ratio is poor. Volunteers also work with the community to reduce dropouts and to make parents active stakeholders in the education of their children. Currently over 150 Vidya Volunteers are supported by GMRVF supported schools across various locations.
- Foundation supports joyful learning in schools by introducing innovative pedagogies, providing Teaching-Learning Materials, training to teachers etc.
- GMRVF also facilitates teacher trainings, exposure visits and excursion trips for children etc.
- Through the use of carefully developed grade-specific workbooks, the volunteers ensure that children achieve Minimum Levels of Learning.
- In many of the schools it works in, GMRVF organizes tuitions for the students of Std. IX and X (also see After School Activities section) to help them make the grade in Board exams.
- Through special classes and summer sessions, it focuses on children acquiring the minimum levels of learning.
- GMRVF, along with school administration, organizes a number of events and competitions in these schools including Environment Day, Children's Day, Annual Day Celebrations etc. This generates a lot of excitement in the children and communities.
- Regular Health checkups are undertaken in all the government schools that the Foundation works with.
- After-school sessions, creativity centers and summer camps in the schools with a focus on co-curricular and extracurricular activities.
Education Ladder to Success!
When GMRVF started working with the Government schools around the Rajiv Gandhi International Airport at Shamshabad, it was found that the SSC pass percentage in Mamidipally High School was less than 35%. Many interventions are taken up by the Foundation to improve this. Foundation has started an After School Learning Center to provide tuition support to the students with weak learning skills. Transport facility is also provided for girls who come from nearby villages to reach their homes safely in the evenings after attending tuition classes. All the students of this After School Learning Center are provided with snacks everyday for 3 months before the exams which are sponsored by IT department of GMR Hyderabad International Airport Ltd. In the initial year of GMRVF’s intervention the pass percentage increased to 67%. The teachers of the school are highly motivated with this increased pass percentage and started taking initiatives of their own to achieve better results. These, coupled with continuous support from GMRVF, have resulted in the continuous improvement in the SSC results and in the third year of intervention i.e. in 2009-10, the school achieved a pass percentage of 81%.